Sunday, December 12, 2010

My grandpa



"My grandpa didn't believe in hugging and kissing, or saying "I love you." His love had to do with the way he treated you. When he said, "We're going here, we're going there," he was telling me about life. That was his love for me. My love for him was listening to what he said, keeping out of trouble, doing right, being fair."  Bill Cosby said this quote. This quote stuck out to me greatly because this is exactly how my grandpa was. He didn’t just tell me about life, but his life.  Threw his stories he brought many things to my eyes.
My grandpa was very strong, not only physically but also mentally. In his earlier years baseball was the world to him.  He knows everything about every team. In his twenties my grandpa had the chance to play for the Minnesota Twins, but unfortunately he turned it down.  When I found this out I thought he was crazy, who wouldn’t take up that offer especially with having such a love for the sport. Obviously I had to question him as to why he turned it down, all he said to me was that he would much rather watch his plants grow, along with his family.  I thought this made my grandpa very strong, because he gave up something incredible for something that is more important to him.
My grandpa was a very devoted person. He had a very strong love for his garden, not just the beauty of it, but also the work that it took to get it to look beautiful, like shoveling, raking, and weed pulling. He also did the same thing for his children and grandchildren, he didn’t just watch us grow, he taught us how to live life and become something beautiful in the end like his garden.  He took care of that garden 7 days a week, along with my cousins and I. To us grandpas was the place to be. My grandpa showed his devotion towards us in many ways.  While spending numerous days on end with my grandpa I saw how he lives life and how he is the type of person that lives life for the moment, and for that moment only.  For the fact that moment wont ever come again.   He only worried about making everyone else happy around him, and his or her needs always came first.
My grandpa was also a hard worker; his hands were like sand paper. He was so driven, and determined that once he started a task he wouldn’t stop till it was complete. He worked very hard for those who didn’t have the ability to do things he could. My grandpa would go around town and help all the little old ladies with their yard work and bring us along to also help. After seeing how thankful the people were after doing a few simple things for them for free, opened my eyes as to seeing how working hard can pay off not in money but in satisfaction. My grandpa would never take anything that was offered to him for the work, but the occasional cookies or food they would cook for him and us grandchildren. He worked very hard on teaching us how to live a successful life by physically setting an example, and carrying us through his experiences.
My grandpa is a very strong, devoted, hard working individual. Even though he didn’t express his feelings to me through hugs and kisses, he expressed it in his own unique way. From showing me that choosing what is most important to me and not to others is the right thing to do, all the way to showing me how to work hard for satisfaction. Throughout his experiences, and stories that he has shared with me I know he loves me and was just setting a great example for his grandchildren.  

No comments:

Post a Comment